Saturday, December 1, 2007

Growing Pains

My children are ages 11, almost 5 and 2.5.

The space between the 11 year old and 5 year old seems huge…sometimes.

I really don’t know if this is the case for everyone but I really cringed when my daughter turned 9. I am quite sure it was because I realized then that she was getting older and would not be my baby forever.

She is so sweet and so very innocent.

As most parents do, I fretted about talking with Cara about boys, her period, sex, anything at all of that nature because I didn’t want to tell her so much to make her confused or scared; yet, I didn’t want her knowledge base to be her friends.

Our first “real” conversation about such a topic happened a few years ago. We were driving home from her physical and I could see her cute little face in the rear view mirror and I casually asked her…

“So Cara, you know what a period is, right?” It was subtle, cool, right to the point. I was starting out easy---thinking we could build a nice conversation around what she knew. I was proud of myself that I just came out with it- spoke with confidence and calmness…

That is, until I heard her reply…

“Sure mom. It is the dot at the end of the sentence,” Cara responded quickly and confidently.

Dead silence as I gripped the steering wheel trying to keep the car on the road.

After a deep breath, I replied, “You are absolutely right.”

What? I had to keep her innocent and naïve for one more day…

I just picked my daughter and two friends up from a dance and as I tucked her into bed I remembered this story. I thought I would pass it along to any of you who are also struggling with those tween years.

I will have a project for you tomorrow and don’t forget to enter to win the blog candy two posts back!!! Only two more days to enter!!!

Night!

8 comments:

Shannan Teubner said...

I am sooo glad I have boys. Maybe.

Unknown said...

Yep...that response would render me speechless too! LOL!

Cathy M said...

I wasn't looking forward to this speech with my oldest daughter at all. It just so happen that there was a program on the public station about this subject....SO I told my DH that all three of us was going to set down and watch it, which we did. It really helped. It was in the spring and the front door was open and when we started to watch it my DD couldn't believe the door was open and had to jump up to close it. She didn't want anyone to know we were watching this. LOL!
I wanted to tell you this, since there are CD's out there that you might want to go this route. It is pretty graphic, but you can answer along the way.
Good Luck

Amber (bambi64) said...

LOL oh,my!! You can practice your 'talk' on my 11 yr old if you want to!!

And you know she is going to kill you when she is older and finds out you posted the story on your blog!! lol

Sherrie said...

Oh I feel your struggle Cammie. My daughter turns 12 next week. It is a huge adjustment emotionally for both of us! She already has the emotional instability down pat. Hang in there, I too don't mind in a little innocence. Just enough info, but not too much.

Unknown said...

Well.......boys or girls, you still have to have the talk. I am right there with ya, so thanks for the confidence. Its OK I still think you did a good job. I was laughing thow!!!

Billie

Elizebeth said...

In denial, my oldest isnt quite 4......not happening for a while. I have a hard enough time sheltering her from meat and not breaking that innocence yet. "What's that?" she asks, "tofu" I say. Everybody is eating tofu, cant go there yet.

Vera Matson said...

My daughter is nine, and I'm not sure how/when I'll get the ball rolling with our little conversations about all of that stuff! We've had a few converstations about bodies changing, but nothing huge. Help!