Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sew, do you like it?

I am frantically preparing for my son's fifth birthday (Tuesday) and still finishing up all the Christmas shopping (yipes!). While cleaning the other day, I had my son pick up all his toys and put them where they belong. He did a great job. I was floored when I came downstairs from dusting our bedroom that the whole downstairs was picked up. This is a BIG DEAL in our house!

Well, I figured out how his toys got picked up so quickly (not so much put away as put in another location!) I was sort of freaked out when I went to find a pot!




After yesterday's post stating that I had received a new sewing machine, I felt that I had to show a little stitching on a card (PRESSURE!) I am not good at this so be gentle on your critique.

My husband wanted a special card for Christmas (that was his list...that was it!) More pressure! lol!

I pulled one of my favorite House Mouse stamps for this because it is just so durn cute. The image originally has the mice on a nice vine of different berries...but I just turned them all into greenery and added red stickles to make it more Christmasy! I also added some icicle stickles to give the leaves some shine.

I stitched the two back panels--the red and the decorative paper and it wasn't too bad. I went slowly so I wouldn't stitch right off the card but once I had the foot pressure down--it was easy. Whew!

Here is a close up of the image and some stitching:


Materials used: mouse stamp (House Mouse); cardstock-red, white, Basic grey dp, olive; Nestability dies; stickles-christmas red, icicle; copic markers; white brads; heart punch (SU!); felt love word; dimensionals (SU! version of mounting tape); sewing machine (wooohooo!).
Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to enter for the blog candy (below!)

25 comments:

Bethany Paull said...

Your kids are an absolute riot! This reminds me of those commercials where the toys are all partying until you turn the lights on, or something like that. Awesome job sewing! What perfectly straight lines.

Erin said...

I love the toy thing!!!

love the card too.

Dawn Easton said...

Your card turned out GREAT! Awesome sewing on it!
LOL @ hiding the toys...oh what joy it is to find things where they aren't supposed to be! As long as he didn't put them in your stamp room ;)

Donna Baker said...

wow! I'm impressed - great job! how funny with the toys!

MichelleSG said...

LOVE how your son organizes. I don't expect it'll get much better with age. When I lived with my father he used the kitchen cabinets to store the oddest things!

Robyn said...

That is so funny about the toys! I have found some in the strangest places also. lol. Gotta love kids!

Your card is gorgeous. I can't imagine my DH ever asking for a card. I don't think he even really notices the difference in any of them.

Charlene Austin said...

Great job! I think you obviously work well under pressure. I know that the first time I sewed on a card I went right off the edge every time even when I tried to stop. LOL! Merry Christmas.

Louise said...

Cute card- I love House Mouse stamps!

Elizebeth said...

That card is beautiful, your gonna have so much fun with that sewing machine!

Congrats on the honorable mention on Nicholes blog. You should tell your sister that she's getting an EXTRA special gift!

Rita said...

You did an awesome job on stitching, really! The card turned out great!

Jana Weaver said...

Carolyn, your stitching turned out perfect! I can't sew in that straight a line and I've sewn many a halloween costume, and clothing! Fabulous card!!

Unknown said...

Your machine stitching looks GREAT Carolyn! What a sweet card! {LOVE where the toys ended up, btw, too, too funny!} -rae

Christina Fischer said...

Beautiful card -- the stitching looks great! He's sure to love it!

I think the toys look happy in there! He's a pretty clever little guy! :)

tyrymom29 said...

LOL ....Your son did something my lil guy would do ....But MOM its picked up ....!!!!Great card Love it !!!!

Leslie Knox said...

LOL The figures in the pan cupboard remind me of that movie Indian in the Cupboard!! Now if they move when you open the door RUN!! LOL

Great job stitching! I have asked Santa for a sewing machine(small craft size) We will wait and see and then go buy my own!! LOL

larue said...

You did an awesome job on your sewing and your card is beautiful.
I love your DS's story too. He deserves an extra hug.

Sharon Harnist said...

Oh, how funny, Carolyn -- that looks like something my 5-year old would do, LOL! Beautiful card & great sewing!

Anonymous said...

At least they are all organized in the cupboard. How funny Carolyn! Your kids are learning at an early age. what I do! Reminds me of the times we are selling a house and the realtor calls and says they will be there in 15 minutes.

I put stuff in the fridge, in the oven, in the microwave, in the closets, under the bed, you name it....I hide it!

But, just want you to know in spite of that I am an obsessive house cleaner! Hee! Immaculate, actually! Fun picture!

Have a safe trip and a Merry Christmas!

Katie said...

What an adorable card! You did great with the sewing. I still haven't got the foot pressure thing resolved so I've put sewing aside, for now. You son is too funny. That is totally something my boy(s) would do! Katie

Anonymous said...

Hi- I'm hoping that you read this comment. First of all-the "Toy Story" is wonderful! I love your card also- in fact I would LOVE to know the name of that certain stamp! Please email me at perking@vcn.com-Thanks Hugs Kay Mespelt

Anonymous said...

What a pretty card. I love the HM line. I can't stop buying them. It's like a bad drug! LOL
Your kids story is too funny. Gotta love those special memories.

Anonymous said...

Your stitching looks pretty darn good Cammie!!!!!! and thanks for the tips in the other post............I'm going to have to check out the tension stuff. I bought the machine 12 years ago with the intent to make clothes for my son. I did manage to make one little snowman vest and then away the machine went (drove me crazy trying to read the patterns!!!) so now, out it comes again..........at least paper is easier to sew!!!!

Unknown said...

Your card and stitching is fabulous Carolyn! Too funny about those toys! Looks like they were set up very tidily in your cupboard! What a cutie!

Jen said...

OMG! Love the toys!!!
Your sewing looks great to me! :)

Jane said...

I had to laugh at the toys in the pot cupboard. I have two boys myself and I can SO relate! ;-)

Also, enjoyed the posts about sewing. I bought a machine probably 3 years ago and it still sits in my closet because I'm too afraid to try using it myself!

Jane