Monday, February 27, 2012

Canvas Art

Hello!  Today I have a few canvas art pieces to share with you.  The one thing they both have in common---I used some Lori Whitlock Silhouette files on both of them!

These files made it SIMPLE for me to create my own artistic canvases.  Just love how EASY it was!

The first canvas uses these files from Lori- available in the Silhouette Online store:
Find Joy Every Day
and Butterfly
 

I painted the canvas with butter creme acrylic paint and I added some light blue paint along the edges and on the sides of the canvas.  After the paint was dry, I went to my patterned paper scrap drawer and pulled a few pieces out.  I cut different ones in a square shape and I added them to the canvas in just a few areas using the Helmar Decoupage paste.  I also coated the top of the papers.
After letting that dry I went back to the paints, adding some more buttercreme paint along the edges and across the papers I added.  I mixed in some brown and some yellow paints and just added paint where I felt it needed some.  I used some bubble wrap to "stamp" some blue distress ink onto the canvas.
Then, I printed off the sentiment and butterfly from my Silhouette machine (both are by Lori Whitlock).
I adhered the sentiment with Helmar Decoupage Paste and added some rub ons on the canvas.  After coating the top of the sentiment with Decoupage Paste I let the canvas dry a bit more.
Next, I added some highlights and shadows with a charcoal pencil, rubbing it in with my finger.  I added some pearls to the two butterflies in the air and then added the cut out butterfly with some Helmar 450 Quick Dry.

The second canvas uses Lori's Teapot file (available in the Silhouette online store):

 
For this one, I used a flat canvas so I could then punch holes in the top to add a hanging string.  I painted the canvas in buttercreme acrylic paint and then added some scraps of patterned paper.  I added some light blue acrylic paint and then some brown along the edges.  I printed out the teapot file on some DCWV Olive Script patterned paper.  After I adhered the teapot to the canvas using Helmar Decoupage paste, I outlined it with a charcoal pencil and blended it with my finger.  To get the aged look to the teapot- I sponged on some Ranger Tea Dye Distress ink.  I added some steam using Cappuccino baker's twine (The Twinery) and Helmar 450 Quick Dry.    After adding some more paint and the heart (which I free hand cut), I punched some holes at the top of the canvas to add the hemp hangar.

That is it!
Hope you like them and are inspired to create some canvas art with your Lori Whitlock files!

Have a great Monday!

11 comments:

Patti J said...

Beautifully done, Cammie! The canvas projects are really delightful. I've had some of that canvas forever, and never seem to get around to trying it - thanks for inspiring me to do so! Hugs...

Dawn Easton said...

Oh my word! LOVE.THEM.BOTH.
Seriously, Carolyn, these are wonderful!!! I am looking at stepping outside my card making box....lol....this would be so fun!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Donna said...

These a beautiful! Thanks for explaining your process. Love the finished products. I'm not sure I could duplicate though. I'll have to give it a try! Have a wonderful week.

Melanie said...

love the joy design!!

Jodi Collins said...

Oh my word. I LOVE these!!!! Please don't make me want a Silhouette....

Karen McAlpine said...

These are so fun! Love the bubble wrap stamping, the colors you used, and the tea pot!!!

Starla said...

Very cool!! I was thinking this morning I needed to pull out some canvas and have some fun! Great inspiration!

Kris in Alaska said...

I totally love this! I never thought you could combine painting, stamping and die cutting to make something so awesome! Thanks for the idea!

Kris in Alaska
funamom at yahoo dot com

Sue from Oregon said...

Very cool projects...love the "steam"!

Deborah Anton said...

Very cool! I love working with canvas so I am going to have to try something like this!

Canvas Prints Online said...

Congrats for a job well done, Cammie! Great works of art...