Monday, February 6, 2012

Sight Words Box

Hello!  Today I have a fun project I created using an amazing Lori Whitlock file.  The original use of this box is for a Valentine's box.  You can see the graphic of it HERE.  It is a super cute holder for all those Valentine's the kids will be getting next week.  I thought it would be fun to take the same exact file and show you another way to use it so that you can see that it isn't JUST for Valentine's Day!

So, I used the same file (but shrunk it down a bit using my Silhouette Studio Software) and made a flash card box for my 6 year old.  She gets new sight words to study every few weeks and I thought this would be a cute way for her to store the index cards. It makes it easy for her to grab the box and study by herself too: 


I added a star index card so that she can place the words she already knows behind the star and the ones she is still working on in front of the star.

The box was cut out using some October Afternoon patterned paper and some chalk stock paper for the front panel.  I used embellishments from Little Yellow Bicycle and from October Afternoon to  decorate it:

You could also make a cute note holder for beside the bed or at your computer desk for different notes you want to jot down or for computer passwords.  The possibilities are endless!


I know my daughter loves her new sight word box so hopefully that will make studying more fun for her.  Here is a link to the Valentine Box I used.  Here is a link to Lori's online store!

Thanks for stopping by!

21 comments:

Sarah said...

Great idea! The box is so cute!

Dawn Easton said...

Brialliant idea, Carolyn!! So fun and colourful too!

Kathy Martin said...

Cute box! Should make homework time a bit more fun. :)

Donna said...

Great idea, Cammie! Learning should be fun.Wish I was doing these kinds of things when my kids were little.

Anne Temple said...

Adorable box and a great teaching tool.

Jingle said...

This is fabulous!!!

Kim said...

This box is so cute! Such a great way to make learning fun!

Cindy Lawrence said...

So very sweet and clever, Cammie! It was a joy to see you at CHA, gf! {{{hugs}}}

Amy Johnson said...

Wow! What a brillant idea! So cute too!

Susan said...

This is brilliant Cammie. As a special education teacher, I spend most of my time teaching reading and sight words are a big part of this. I wish I had a Silhouette as I know my students would love to have their own boxes just like yours! Well done.

Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

I'm all about making learning fun and cute! I think if we can make the items our kids use to learn more appealing it makes the learning all the more interesting. I adore this project, it's just super!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

See....I'm always telling you that you are "the most clever", and I see you still hold that title!! What a super fabulous idea!! And it's uber cute too!! You ROCK Cam!!

Denise Marzec said...

Oh my word, how freakin' CUUUUUTE is that! Wow!!!!...awesome project, Cammie!

Erin Smetak said...

This is a fabulous idea! This might come in handy for my girls!

bonnie said...

Oh my goodness this is so super cute sweetie...love the bright colours and all the sweet details...adorable! ;) Hugs x

Lezlye said...

Love this! I enjoy it when I can have multiple uses for cuts that are seasonal. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Sorry I missed meeting you at CHA.

Melanie said...

This is the cutest idea! You ARE SuperMOM!

Judi said...

So cute!

Starla said...

What a CUTE idea! I bet she loves her special little study box!

Lynette said...

Very cool, Cammie! Your daughter is very lucky to have it - and a mom like you!

Glenda J said...

This is so fun! Love it! I have to say that you make the best school inspired stuff!