Monday, July 14, 2008

From Trash to Treasure

I LOVE beautiful embellishments for my cards but I don't always want to spend a lot of money to get them. Somehow I have a hard time paying $2 for an embellishment for one card.

For example, I love these charms but I waited for awhile until I (luckily) found them on sale and in a clearance bin! Woohoo! But I am not always lucky....

So I have learned how to improvise. One of my favorite things to do is to go to garage sales, flea markets, etc. and find things that I can "rework" to use on my cards/scrapbook pages.

Here is a look at some recent finds (note: everything pictured below was purchased for $2.50!)

The snowflakes and sun charms were once dangling off of earrings--I simply removed the earring hooks and now have some cool winter/summer embellishments. The middle pieces are beads from a necklace. On the right are two pieces (similar to the ones above) that were clip on earrings. They had a yucky worn pearl center that I removed and I also removed the clips on the other side. The center circles will look great with a build-a-brad or another accent adhered there. I even found some pretty (blingy) rhinestone snaps that will look awesome in the middle of a flower!

Whola!!! From trash to treasure. (Sorry about the dark photo--but you get the idea!)

After I get home, I am sure you will be seeing some of these on a few cards!

Keep your eyes out - you never know when you are gonna find a great "treasure" for your hobby!


Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

Shelly said...

I have been on the same track this past week. Can't wait to see what you do w/ your finds!

Christi Flores said...

This is awesome!! I think I need to start hitting up more garage sales! :)

Anonymous said...

Cool finds! I love going to thrift stores and finding things to reuse in my crafts. I find a lot of great organizational things, but also the occasional embellishment etc.

Take care,

Shawn

Ila said...

These are Fabulous finds...I agree seems like such a waste to spend so much on charms. I really like the idea of taking them off earrings....Thanks for sharing!!

CountessLaurie said...

What a great idea. I'd never thought of that. My DH is a sucker for yard sales, so now I have something to look for. Thanks for sharing!!

Dawn Easton said...

Love this idea! I think I should look through my old jewelry now...I bet there is something in there I can use! Thanks for the tips and I can't wait to see what you create with them!!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my faves too!! I just posted a scrapbook layout using metal sunflowers from an old lamp!! You can see it here
http://scrapsbym.blogspot.com/2008/07/butterflies-and-sunflowers.html

Earring parts never occured to me though, thanks for the tip!!

Eve said...

I feel the same way!
LOVE your find,
~Eve

Alex said...

The bargain hunting really IS part of the fun! These are fabulous finds! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Rita said...

Wow you sure do have an eye for embelishments!

Lee said...

What great ideas for embellies!!!! I'm so addicted to bling....my hubby will appreciate some tips on saving $ on them!!! LOL