Tuesday, December 20, 2011

a short LONG story

Ok...so sort of a long story but the LONG (get it, LONG giraffe neck!) and short of it is that I made an owl tooth fairy pillow for my youngest, who is starting to lose teeth. It is cute and has a little front pocket for her teeth. (Hmmm, definitely will post a picture of that one soon!)

But, anyway, I bought wayyyy too much fleece for it and so my oldest daughter was eyeing it up and told me to make a giraffe for her. (She collects them!)
Good heavens. I am not a seamstress or a stuffed animal designer person but I am not one to turn down any crafty challenge and two hours later I had made this for her: I sketched the giraffe right on the fabric and cut it out (two pieces for front and back.)

I was going to go with different colors but I think she wanted muted colors (She IS 15!) So, instead, I thought I would make the spots on him heart shaped. But....did i really want to hand cut a whole bunch of hearts?!!?! No...I am waayyyy too much of a perfectionist for that.

So, I pulled out my My Favorite Things Hearts-a Plenty Die-namics die and thought "What the heck? I will try it! After all, I have plenty of fleece!" And guess what? It cut the fleece. Shut up!
Yes, it did. Only two of the hearts needed a tiny scissor slice at one point but the others cut perfectly. (And keep in mind, those hearts are on both sides!)

I used my Cuttlebug machine: Plate C, fleece with die facing down, and Place B on top. Success!

Anyhoo....thought that was purty darned neat so had to share :)
The giraffe is cute too---at least according to my daughter who was positively delighted with it.

Mission accomplished.

24 comments:

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

That is absolutley ADORABLE, Cammie!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Oops. . .my fingers got away from me. ..absolutely LOL

Dawn Easton said...

This is so stinkin' cute, Carolyn! LOVE the heart spot idea! BRILLIANT!!!

Rita said...

OMGosh...this is too stinkin' cute!!! You turned out to be quite the sewer...you came a long way baby! I remember the first card using your new sewing machine after your MIL left, after teaching you how to use it, you had a stringy mess on your hands, hahaha!!! I can't wait to see the tooth pillow! I'm sure it's awesome!

Donna said...

You are good! What a cute giraffe. Your daughter will love it. Great idea to use the die to cut the hearts.

Selma said...

That is one of the cutest giraffes I have seen. Those heart spots make it so adorable. You are now officially a seamstress and a stuffed animal designer. We all knew you were super talented!! Merry Christmas Cammie.

Gabriela said...

Cammie - clearly there is no end to your talent! Your little giraffe is fabulous and has absconded with my heart. Thought you should know. xoxoxo

Basement Stamper said...

this turned out so cute, you did a great job on it!

Anonymous said...

Too darn cute. Very talented mom, you are!

Allisa said...

Super Cute!

kiwimeskreations said...

Definitely a very cute giraffe -= yay to you for taking up the challenge!!
Blessings
Maxine

Susan said...

Gotta love all these great crafting tools! The giraffe is super cute and I can see why your daughter is thrilled!

Notes by Nina said...

This is adorable, love the hearts :)

Amy Johnson said...

This is just too cute! I am a seamstress, and I never could have created anything this adorable! Love it! Especially the colors and the hearts!

Elaine said...

Love it! This is so dang cute! Great idea to use the heart for the eye and spots!

Unknown said...

Wonderful! You make a fantastic little giraffe!!!

Starla said...

2 hours?! You came up with this adorable critter in 2 hours?! OMG...it would have taken me two hours to figure out how to use the sewing machine!!

Something your DD can treasure forever

Diane said...

"Sew" cute!!! Love how we can mix our paper crafting and sewing tools together...these would be so cute for Valentines Day!!

Glenda J said...

How cool is that! Great job - so innovative!

Karen McAlpine said...

Great pattern!! Free-hand??!! You rock. Super cute giraffe and love the fabric

Traci Godbee said...

so cute!!! Makes me want to fix my broken sewing machine!

Charlene Merrick (LilLuvsStampin) said...

I applaud your creativity and perseverance, Cammie! This is too stinkin CUTE! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Melanie said...

you need an etsy store!

Christiana said...

Oh wow, this is super adorable!